Sunday, June 10, 2012

What I learned in Chemo Class



I actually wrote this after my first chemo treatment, but placed it here on the blog for continuity.

I am finding that a lot of people aren't familiar with chemo or the effects on a person. As Amy said...she thought it was mostly nausea. Ironically the nausea is one side effect more easily controlled. I do have some kind of nausea...the stomach clamps down and just hurts.

So welcome to chemo class.

I'm given two drugs for breast cancer...Cytoxin and Taxotere.
The common effects are as follows....

Nausea and vomiting. But they give meds to control that. Before I'm even given the chemo...they start with an iv med called Aloxi. It is an anti-emetic which means its for nausea and vomiting. This wonder drug stays in your blood for FIVE days! I could definitely tell as it wore off. My actual nausea is under control.

The second effect is loss of appetite. I got that big time. Even when I do manage eat a little, seriously 2 - 3 bites and the stomach cramping starts and I have to quit. I have lost 12 lbs in a week. I know a good deal was water because I was retaining like a sow. My cankles are gone.

Next on the list is hair and nail loss. They recommend using nail hardener and I have been.

Next is bladder irritation. I have to drink fluids like a horse to keep that from happening.

Next is stopping of menstrual cycles. That may take more than one chemo cycle. Frankly I'm looking forward to that effect. Well except for the hot flashes...

Then the lovely sore mouth or throat called stomatitis. It can actually happen anywhere along the digestive system. But I swish and spit a saline solution every 4 hours to keep it from happening.

Then next you have the risk of an allergic reaction. Taxotere is famous for causing it. So that's why they add steroids to the chemo AND I have to take dexamethasone the day before the day and after chemo.

Chemo also causes fluid retention.
It can cause diarrhea and I can attest that yes sir it does. :(

Chemo can give you a rash. I haven't gotten one this time at least.

Chemo can cause numbness in the hands and feet. I have had something like that. Kind of like carpel tunnel syndrome

Then there's fatigue. They said it would be like early morning sickness. And early in the week I think it was.

Then there's the muscle pain. Only 20% of people on CT will develop muscle pain. So I won that lottery. Doc gave me percocet and that, with a lot of sleep helps you get through that.


Late in the first week you have low blood counts. As red blood cells deminish you feel a special kind a fatigue. It's like a weary to the bone kind of fatigue and you find yourself puffing just getting up to go to a bathroom. White blood cells and platelets go down too. Basically your bone marrow stops working.

Because of the low blood count ....for those at risk they give us an injection called Neulasta. The Neulasta forces the bone marrow to work like a little sweat shop to create white blood cells. That medicine causes bone pain because of the sweat shop effect. It will help protect me from infection but it will hurt as well. I have not had bone pain since K prayed over me.


I think that's all. I had to look over my handout to remember of them.

So what did I learn in Chemo Class?

Fighting cancer with chemo SUCKS!






No comments:

Post a Comment